Who Qualifies?

General federal financial aid eligibility requirements are:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
    • Non-U.S. Citizens, generally, if you have a “green card” (in other words, if you are a permanent resident alien), you will be considered an “eligible noncitizen” and will be able to get federal student aid.
  • Have financial need
  • Enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program at your college or career school.

If you are a U.S. Citizen or Eligible non-citizen you will file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

If you are NOT a US Citizen or eligible Non-Citizen, you may qualify for state and institutional aid under Assembly Bill 540 (AB540). For more information, click here.

Staying Eligible
Once you’re in college or career school, make sure you stay eligible for federal student aid by paying attention to a few things, including keeping on track toward graduation. And remember to fill out your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or CA Dream Act Application every year by March 2. Also keep in mind that, depending on the types of student aid you are seeking, there may be additional applications which must be completed by the appropriate deadline. Work closely with your counselor or the financial aid office to be sure you meet all application requirements.

Don’t disqualify yourself!

If you think you need financial aid, apply for it. For more information, see a counselor or call:

  • (916) 445-0880 – the Student Aid Commission’s Customer Service Division answers calls about Cal Grants, student loans and other state financial aid programs.
  • (609) 951-1025 – the College Scholarship Service (CSS) or (916) 361-0656 – the American College Testing program (ACT) to get a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or for information about a form submitted to the need analysis servicer.
  • 1-800-4 FEDAID – toll-free for information about the federal grant and loan programs and other aid.