The California Dream Act

California Dream Act (AB540) was signed into law October 12, 2001, authorizes any students, including undocumented students, who meet the following criteria to pay in-state tuition at California’s public colleges and universities.

  1. Attended a CA high school for 3 or More years.
  2. Graduated from a CA high or attained the equivalent of a HS diploma.
  3. Registered or currently be enrolled at a public college/university in CA.
  4. Filed or will file an affidavit with your college/university.
  5. May not be a non-immigrant holding a valid lettered non-immigrant visa (F, J, H, L, A, E, etc.)
  6. If you have a DACA Social Security Number you also qualify


Signed into law July 25, 2011, authorizes AB540 students to apply to privately funded scholarships given out by a California public college/university. Effective January 1, 2012.

  1. Be classified as AB540
  2. Meet each scholarship’s requirements (this will be implemented by campus).


Signed into law October 8, 2011, authorizes AB540 students to apply for Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver and Cal-Grants.  Effective January 1, 2013.

  1. Be eligible for AB540
  2. GPA and income requirements as decided by the California Student Aid Commission.

AB 1899:

AB 1899 allows U and T visa holders to also apply for state financial aid. (T visa holders should file a FAFSA, U visa holders should file a CA Dream Act Application)

If you are eligible for the CA Dream Act (AB540) you are eligible for the following financial aid:

  • Cal Grant, Chafee Grant, Middle Class Scholarship
  • UC Grants, State Univeristy Grants
  • California Community College (CCC) BOG Fee Waiver
  • CA DREAM loan
  • Some University scholarships
  • Some private scholarships administered by campuses


For more information about the California Dream Act, CLICK HERE.