Financial Aid from Schools and Colleges

The financial aid office also helps students to qualify for other aid by certifying students’ expense budgets and financial need.

Check with the school for its financial aid deadlines. College financial aid offices provide the following:

  • information about all student aid programs and application requirements;
  • “packaging” financial aid (a combination of grants, loans and/or work-study);
  • an explanation of how much aid a student is eligible to receive;
  • advice on financial planning and debt management;
  • counseling on how to balance an academic workload and a part-time job;
  • reference books on all sources of school funds;
  • advice on applying for a student loan, interest rates and payment schedules; and
  • help in a financial emergency with short-term loans.


Special Tuition Payment Plans

Some colleges have installment plans with finance charges for parents who can’t afford lump-sum tuition payments. Schools may allow payment that protects students from future tuition increases. There may be tuition discount plans for paying in advance, or if more than one family member attends the school.


Colleges may have scholarships for students with exceptional academic or athletic ability, or for those with other talents. Most schools have scholarships from private donations. Some scholarship awards are restricted by background, talent, academic interest or geographic location. Others are more general. Ask the financial aid office about scholarship applications.

Educational Opportunity Programs (EOP), and Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)

The Educational Opportunity Programs (EOP) at the California State University (CSU) and the Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) at public community colleges provide grants, counseling and/or tutorial services to low-income disadvantaged students. At University of California (UC) campuses, counseling/tutorial services are provided through the campus EOP program, but grants for students in that program come from the financial aid office.

EOP grants range from $400 to $1,400 (depending on need and availability of funds) and EOPS grants up to $900, depending on the school. Amounts vary by campus. Check with the EOP/EOPS offices for specific eligibility requirements.

To be eligible for the EOP/EOPS program, a student must be disadvantaged according to criteria established by state regulations, and be enrolled full time at a community college or at a CSU campus (if enrolled less than half time, approval of the EOP director is needed).

The Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE) is a special support program for EOPS students who are welfare recipients, single parents, and have preschool-aged children. Eligible CARE participants are offered counseling, transportation, grants and services for child care, and textbook supplies. The program operates on 44 public community college campuses.


California Community College Aid

California Community Colleges’ Board of Governors Grants (BOGG) are for students who need help paying enrollment fees. California residents who meet the following criteria may be eligible for a BOGG:

students who have already qualified for financial aid, such as a Pell Grant or a Cal Grant;
a student or student’s family is receiving AFDC, SSI, or General Assistance/General Relief; or
meet the following income standards:

1 member in family including yourself, $ 17,505 or less (gross income)
2 member in family including yourself, $23,595 or less (gross income)
3 member in family including yourself, $29,685 or less (gross income)
4 member in family including yourself, $35,775 or less (gross income)
*Add $6,090 for each additional dependent.

Dependents of deceased or disabled veterans who are eligible for benefits under the California Veterans Dependents Educational Assistance Program and dependents of deceased or disabled California National Guard members certified by the Adjutant General’s Office also can get a BOGG.

Once qualified for a BOGG, a student’s enrollment fees are paid for the rest of the school year, including summer. For more information, contact the local community college financial aid office.