East Bay College Fund’s 2 Year Scholarship
Award Number: n/a
GPA Required: 2.0
Oakland , CA 94612
For OUSD Graduating High School Seniors who Plan to Enroll in Transfer or Career Technical Education (CTE) Programs at Community Colleges
East Bay College Fund offers a 2 Year Scholarship Program in recognition of the growing number of students who plan to transfer to 4-year colleges, or who will pursue career technical education/vocational pathways at community colleges.
The Scholarship supports Oakland students in getting the training and skills needed for well-paying careers. Working closely with OUSD’s Linked Learning Academies, the Peralta Community Colleges and industry partners, East Bay College Fund support high school seniors to enter CTE programs that lead directly to careers (certification programs) or transfer to 4-year colleges within two or three years.
Currently, less than 30% of community college students complete a program or transfer to a 4-year college within 6 years. We know that with key supports and scholarships, Oakland youth can succeed in greater numbers.
Scholars receive a $2,000 scholarship (final amount will be dependent on the recipient’s confirmed need). Scholarship funds are disbursed on a semester-by-semester basis (applications are due only once a year, see below).
Scholars participate in our College Crews Program (on-campus peer mentoring), biannual skills building retreats, networking and career development opportunities, and are supported in securing additional financial aid. East Bay College Fund is committed to strengthening career pathways to help more Oakland students reach their career dreams. Launch scholars are supported in pursuing careers in areas such as medical assisting, nursing, IT/Tech, graphic arts/digital media, automotive and aviation technology, construction management, energy technology, early childhood education, precision manufacturing, paralegal studies, and more.
OUSD seniors who plan to attend a community college in Fall 2017, are encouraged to apply.
Program participants are expected to demonstrate clear commitment to attend a 2-year college, to participate in College Crews, and to communicate regularly with East Bay College Fund staff.
STUDENTS MUST UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS NOT SIMPLY A SCHOLARSHIP AWARD.
STUDENTS WILL BE JOINING A COMPREHENSIVE SCHOLAR SUPPORT PROGRAM.
Award Amount: $2,000 ($500/semester)
Applicants Must Meet the Following Eligibility Requirements to be Considered:
* Be a graduating seniors from an Oakland public or charter high school by June 2017
* A cumulative 2.0 GPA or higher
* Completed the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application by March 2, 2017
* Commit to enroll and matriculate in a 2-year accredited college as a full-time student starting no later than Fall 2016 (enrollment in for-profit college is not permitted)
* Demonstrate leadership characteristics: 1) academic preparation; 2)resiliency; 3) evidence of being responsible, resourceful, and involved
To receive the $2,500 scholarship the students must:
* Have submitted a complete an online application by [Date to be determined]
* Attend the Program Orientation on [Date and location to be determined] with a parent/guardian
* Attend the 2017 Awards Ceremony on [Date to be determined]
* Attend biannual (daytime) summer and winter retreats (Summer 2017 and Winter 2017; dates to be determined)
* Attend College Crews Connect Retreat in mid-August 2017 (Date to be determined)
* Participate in the College Crews program
* Provide all required documentation as requested by East Bay College Fund (may include final transcript, financial aid letter, class schedule and Student Aid Report, etc.)